Monday, September 12, 2011

Climbing in ThaKhek

I can't believe I've been this lucky, privileged in fact, to climb in such a beautiful place! ThaKhek is incredible, not only the climbing but the town itself is chilled and friendly. This climbing site is about 12kms from town, and it's only going to get bigger...I've mentioned Green Climbers Home before, a climbing camp being set up by 2 incredible human beings, Uli and Tanja. They are nearly finished, hopefully November they'll be done. The camp is set right in the middle of the climbing areas which are constantly being expanded by U and T, bolting new routes whenever they get the chance. I've been lucky enough to climb some of these routes and let me tell you, they are Awesome. There are hundreds of new bolts coming in so coming here to climb will be an experience that will leave you salivating for more!
Me on 'Pied D'elephant'
The rock is sharp and concealing, always keeping you guessing, giving you a bit, then taking it away just to watch you squirm. There are a lot of varied routes ranging from 5a to 8a and beyond. A couple of multi pitch routes with more being planned as I write. I've spent 2 days climbing with U and T and it rained both days. We still managed to get in and have 2 solid days climbing where I managed to tick my first 23(7a) 'The sound of music'. A beautiful climb with a good rest after the crux before making the last hard crimp to the top. I watched Uli climb up the 28(7c+) next to it which I attempted on top rope, failing epically haha Also a favourite of mine is 'Pieds D'elephant', to the left of 'The Sound of Music', which is an exciting 21(6c).
Me and Uli
Fabian arrived 3 days ago, we sacrificed a day of climbing to go to one of the most raved about caves in the area...turns out we sacrificed a day of climbing for 6hrs in a mini-bus for a tourist cave that had man made steps through it. The cave has a river running through it which I guess is cool but not worth what we paid, it could have been skipped. The next 2 days though we climbed, and climbed hard and the weather was perfect! We ticked off 12 routes, including a great multi-pitch and I onsighted my first ever 25(7b) which I am still buzzing from! My favourite routes from the last 2 days have been 'Sinter-Orgie' 17(6a), 'Frechdachs' an intricate maze on the 'Right Roof Sector' graded at about 19(6b) and of course 'Swing Dei Ding' my first ever 25, also on the right roof. I can't actually describe how amazing this climb is, the crux move is an intense, awkward, pumpy and balancy move over the lip of the super sharp overhang...it truly is something you have to feel yourself! Fabian and I have been incredibly lucky as we're the first couple of people to climb some of the new climbs being put up by U and T. It's an absolute privilege to be here at the start of a long and exciting climbing era!

I only have a few pictures to describe to you the climbing you're in for when you come here, and I know you will come here...there are already 80 routes to climb (come in the dry season) with a target of about 2-300 climbs in the near future. There will be permanent quickdraws on most routes so no wasting precious time cleaning, especially on the overhanging routes. Come and stay with Uli and Tanya at 'Green Climbers Home' and wake up every morning to a climbing dream!
Green Climbers Home under construction!

We haven't finished our climbing yet and hope to snap some more interesting photos in the days to come. Heading to Vang Vien in about a week to try out the routes there...lets hope this rain disappears!  When you come here you need look no further for all your climbing needs than 'Green Climbers Home', their website will give you the topo's you need, equipment you don't have and all the food you need when climbing hard in Laos! I've come here in the wet season and my climbing experience has been one I'll remember forever, this place is enchanting...but I'll leave that up to you ;)

2 comments:

  1. Enjoying reading you're adventures. Keep safe. Leanne (Lamby) XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys!
    I'm heading to Thakhek and look for some locals to climb with them!
    Could you send me their email address at victor.godayer(at)etu.enseeiht.fr please ?
    Cheers guys!
    Victor

    ReplyDelete